Saturday 29 November 2008

Belfast's turned really busy and a bollox to go into now since the shopping craze has started. I was taking a short cut down through the wee alley at the back of Queen Street to avoid the crowds when I ran into my brother Wino Jo and his mate Foosted Wotsit Head. They were scabbing for change because they needed to buy some drink. I was all short or I'd have given them some. Wino Jo was always good to me when I was a kid. He'd always bring me home some stickers for my WWF (as it was called then) Sticker Album, I nearly filled it but all I was missing was The Brooklyn Brawler (but sure he was pish anyway) and a quarter of the Big Bossman.

I felt bad about not being able to give them any money because the two of them don't really get on when they're sober, they just end up fighting and then they get arrested.

I was surprised that they didn't have more money with all the extra shoppers in town. I said this to them, half-trying to lead the conversation on.

"Aye," says Foosted Wotsit Head, "but you forget this is Belfast."

I didn't really know what he meant but Wino Jo looked at him like he'd just said something really profound so I just left it at that.