Saturday 21 November 2009

Settling in at work

It's only been one week and I'm already starting to settle in, this should be good. I still have time for Battle Cat, so that's the main thing.

The problem is, is it good to feel settled in? I can't say too much about what we do because mainly if I start to say things that let people know where I work etc, I can't be so open about other things. In fact I've already been to open to feel comfortable with anyone knowing who I am unless I've checked them out first.

Mainly I'll say that it's a call centre and involves credit card transactions. I'll also say that it involves unreasonable and unrealistic things like monitoring how long people spend on each call and bollocking them if they spend too long, regardless of whether they've sorted the problem out.

I know that when I call a call centre about a problem I resent the idea that they're watching the clock and trying to get me off the phone. I'm not calling for a chat or to waste someone's time I'm calling to get something sorted out.

So is it really okay for me to feel settled in and happy to be doing this?

I remember when I was at school having a part time job in a nearby factory. I also remember a friend starting at the same time I did. He quit after three days because he could still see the job from the outside and knew that sometimes you shouldn't slip into that comfortable feeling. It looks uncomfortable for a reason.